Surprise Banana Cake


I have made this cake recipe a couple times now, and had very different, but equally delicious, results with my baking attempts! The first time I halved the recipe, and I can't remember if I used overripe bananas that had been thawed (which is usually what I use for any recipe calling for bananas) or if I had some that hadn't yet been frozen. In any event, I remember that one came out a little bit fluffier in texture than this one, and I also frosted the first one whereas I left this one unadorned. You will have fairly thin pieces of cake if you use the full recipe and a 9x13 pan, but they are somewhat dense in consistency and really don't need to be any thicker than they come out! I really love this recipe and ate a couple small pieces not long after it had cooled, and then a couple more the next day! I had to take this one to work to share so I wouldn't end up eating the whole thing. It comes out moist, sweet, and is a very tasty treat. This is a great way to use up those extra ripe bananas you have laying around! I omit the nuts as we prefer banana breads and cakes without them most of the time. If you want to frost this cake, I've included my favorite cream cheese frosting recipe below.
Surprise Banana Cake by tomg on AllRecipes
Ingredients
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 eggs
4 ripe bananas, mashed
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
 
Directions 
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease and flour one 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
  2. Cream together the butter and the sugar.
  3. Add eggs, bananas, flour, soda, salt, nuts, and vanilla. Mix thoroughly and pour batter into the prepared pan.
  4. Bake for 30 minutes. Cool and frost cake (if desired).

Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients
1/8 cup butter, softened
4 ounces cream cheese
1 cups confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions
  1. In a medium mixing bowl, beat all frosting ingredients together with an electric mixer until well-combined and smooth (taste test and adjust as necessary). Frost cake when it is cooled completely. 


Comments

Popular Posts