Catching Up...

I don't really feel like I have that much to say, but there has been a lot that's happened since my last update and I wanted to capture some of it!

Kent and I left for Washington state late on the evening of Thursday, March 29th. We arrived in Seattle around midnight on Friday morning. We got about 6 hours of sleep or so once we got back to my dad's house and then Kent and I headed off to Skagit Valley College in Mt. Vernon to meet up with my aunt Bobbi for a Young Author's Conference! It was something she was taking some of her homeschooled students too (she works at Stillaguamish Valley School which supports homeschooling families). Kent hit it off IMMEDIATELY with one of the boys from her school and they talked the entire time (too much - had to keep telling them to hush!) It was a great group for him to be around, he fit right in and it was wonderful to spend some time with Bobbi.

Most of the days are a bit of a blur, but I came home with 400 photographs of all of our get togethers and outings and time with family. I got to spend a lot of time with everyone and I am so grateful everyone made the time to fit us in. We even took my aunt Bobbi, Grandma, Grandpa, dad, my brother Jake and Kent for a family outing to the Space Needle and the Pacific Science Center which was really neat. It was cool to have such a mix! The "grown ups" were worn out by the time the Center closed at 5pm but my brother and I went to the Seattle Art Museum and met up with our sister, Kylie, when she was done with work and we all had a late night out "on the town"! :) One other really cool thing the three of us siblings did was a college tour day. Jake and Kylie have both been in school the past couple years for their AA degrees, they're both graduating in June and both have applied to different colleges to continue for their bachelors. Right now they're both at Cascadia, and Jake will be going to Evergreen in the fall and Kylie is waiting to hear back from the University of Washington (very, very anxiously waiting!! :) ). Since their schooling has been such a big part of their lives the past couple years and is about to be a big part of mine we decided to go visit all three schools and made a day of it! We went to Cascadia first, which is a pretty small community college - it is VERY environmentally conscious, disturbing the land it was built on as little as possible and re-using the timber that was cut down in benches, etc. inside the buildings. Then we went to the UW and OH MY GOSH. The buildings there are just breathtaking. I could have just stayed there all day and looked at them. They are HUGE and there is quite a mix of styles, but many of them look like huge stone castles. They are gorgeous and the landscaping is beautiful! Lots of beautiful flowering trees. We also grabbed lunch at a YUMMY vegan Thai restaurant in the U district... there are a lot of really cool unique "hole in the wall" type places to eat around there.

Next we hopped in the car and made the drive to Olympia to visit Evergreen College - home of "Speedy" the Geoduck (pronounced "gooey duck" for you non-Washingtonians! :) ) It was just beautiful there... the entire campus was (as carefully as possible it seems) plopped in the middle of a huge forest - enormous, tall green trees everywhere you look and it has a very natural feeling to it. The buildings look like huge cement barracks, very minimal and sturdy and they sort of "blend" into their scenery so as not to take away from the beauty of the trees around them. A COMPLETELY different feel to it than the UW, but such an interesting reflection on the different personalities of my siblings who chose them. We walked around Evergreen for quite awhile and I took tons of pictures in the woods and we went and had some delicious calzones before making the drive back. It was a busy, busy week away, full of a lot of activities and get togethers and I am so thankful for each moment with my family. I love them all so much and miss them all terribly being so far away. Kent really enjoyed this visit as well, he really liked having so much family around and getting to do some pretty fun things too. He seemed to really love it there - he thought the mountains were amazing. I had forgotten what it's like to have that beautiful view almost everywhere you look. They are just breathtaking. It was pretty cold most of the time, and I am not a fan of Washington weather, but I think it might just be worth the cold and wet again to get to be back around family and have those views!! :) I don't really think we'll ever move back to Washington but I put Kenneth's resume into Boeing - I figured it can't hurt since we don't know for sure whether or not we'll have to move for his job when the time comes after this committment ends later this year.

We came home early on Easter morning, Sunday April 8th, and Kent and I both crashed (although first we had to go next door and knock on the neighbor's door at 8:00am and ask for the key to our house since they'd locked the basement door when they were over caring for the dogs and we couldn't get in from the garage!!) I slept 'til about 1:00pm and had a rough time sleeping that night, it's taken a few days but I think we're both back on schedule by now. Kent has been suffering from bad allergy issues ever since we got back though, so that's been keeping him up at night poor kiddo! Hopefully it's just the adjustment to the weather changes and he'll be feeling better soon.

It's now been a full 2 months since I delivered and I am at that point where "GS amnesia" starts kicking in and I cannot really believe I carried them and delivered them and it was only a couple months ago! The amnesia starts hitting faster each time I think! :) I still think of them all often, but the actual experience of carrying the pregnancy and delivering babies fades and you're left with just the relationship you have or don't have with the family. I had a nice note from my FIM this morning and it was good to hear from her. Hopefully life is settling down for them now and they are getting the chance to enjoy their girls and life as a family.

So that is life at the moment! Back to work as of this past Monday, about 3 more weeks here. Looking forward to seeing my hubby in a few weeks and then it will be time for school! I'm sure April is going to fly by - the days at work seem to go faster than they did when I was on leave, and I felt like those days just passed me by in the blink of an eye! I think I have been thinking about the passage of time a lot lately - we've been in our house for 8 years now and that is just hard for me to comprehend or process! That's a big chunk of time especially for someone who never lived anywhere more than 3 years prior to this! I love our house and love that we got to go through the process of seeing it built and picking what we wanted, but I am also ready for a change. Ready for some more space, some property we can call our own and hopefully we'll start heading in that direction before too much more time passes. Most likely we'll just have to wait and see what job Kenneth might get after his current committement so we know if we're staying in Georgia or relocating and then we can decide about moving and what type of property to get next. There are so many great 5-10 acre horse farms not too far from where we are now - I have been looking at them online and it makes me antsy! :) I'm ready to have my own. Hopefully Kenneth will hear back from some of the jobs he's been applying to and we'll get some idea of the "what's next" in the next few months or so.

Comments

  1. Sounds like all is going well...and busy! I can totally picture you on some property...seems to suit your style. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, sounds awesome! Can't wait to see what happens so I know where I am coming to visit you next! :) :) :)
    Tell that sweet boy hi for me! Miss you guys!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Making Miracles - I love to hear from my visitors, so please take a moment to say hello! :)

Popular Posts