Banana Pudding

This is one of hubby's favorite desserts, I've only made it a few times in our married life but it always goes over well when I do! Kent really enjoyed this as well and I thought it was very good, and anything with meringue is always pretty! I decided to make banana pudding to use the rest of the ladyfingers up which I'd made for the P.W.'s Tiramisu a few days before.

This recipe comes from my favorite wedding gift, a small cookbook my mother in law put together with my sister in laws for us with print outs of their family favorites. It probably got us through our early years of married life with decent food while I learned to cook!

A copy of the well loved recipe from the book!

Started with 2 eggs, 2 very ripe medium bananas, sugar, nilla wafers, milk (I actually ended up using almond milk), salt, banana cream pudding (instead of vanilla) and the leftover ladyfinger cookies.

I used the ladyfingers for the bottom layer and filled in any gaps with nilla wafers.


I separated the whites and yolks.

The pudding mix and almond milk were combined.

The yolks were added to the milk and pudding.

I stirred gently and quickly to evenly combine the yolks into the mixture and let that heat through.

Next came the bananas sliced onto the first layer of cookies.

The pudding mixture started bubbling as it heated and I started the meringue.

Added a little salt to the egg whites.

I let the egg whites whip on high while I worked on layering on the pudding (add sugar once the salt and egg whites become foamy and let it continue on high until stiff and shiny).

The mixture came to a boil and I took it off the heat.

I poured on half of the pudding mixture, and then added another layer of cookies and bananas.

Topped with the rest of the pudding mixture and looking good enough to eat!

The meringue was fluffy and ready to pour on!

Gently poured the meringue on and spread evenly, trying to make sure to seal the edges and adding little peaks for fun.

Fresh out of the oven, looking golden, toasted and fabulous!

Creamy pudding, soft and fluffy meringue and tender cookies - equals a delicious dessert!

Ingredients
1 pkg (4-serving size) vanilla or banana cream pudding mix
2 eggs (separated)
25 vanilla wafers (approximately, more or less as needed)
dash of salt
2 medium-large very ripe bananas
2 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup sugar

Directions
Combine pudding mix, egg yolks and milk in saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a full boil. Remove from heat.

Arrange a layer of wafers in the bottom and sides of a baking dish, add a layer of sliced bananas and half the pudding. Layer one more time (wafers, bananas and pudding).

Create the meringue by beating egg whites and salt until foamy, slowly add the sugar beating constantly until stiff, shiny peaks form. Pile the meringue onto the pudding, sealing the edges of the pudding.

Bake 5-10 minutes at 425 degrees until lightly browned.

Serves: 8

Comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Making Miracles - I love to hear from my visitors, so please take a moment to say hello! :)

Popular Posts